Sunday, July 22, 2012

Soap Carving

Ivory soap always reminds me of my grandmother.  She passed away when I was about 9, but there was always a smell that I always associated with her house.  I never knew what the smell was, but every once in a while I catch a whiff of this scent and think of her.  When I started dating my now husband he always smelled like my grandma, a bit weird at first, but once I realized it was just because of their shared love of Ivory soap it wasn't so weird.

I have now become a big fan of Ivory soap as well.  It is not only a great everyday face and body cleanser, but it can also be used for other purposes around the house. Your can throw flakes in the washing machine, rub it on stains - especially collar stains, use it on sticky drawers or our favorite - soap carving.


It is a great any time of the year, any age project.  We have done soap carving during the summer when we need a distraction during the long summer days and we have done it for a fun Christmas gift.  Because it is a soft soap it is super easy for the kids to carve.  We use wooden manicure sticks, they are the perfect size for little hands and just sharp enough to cut through the soap.



 I usually just let the kids carve away, sometimes they whittle down an entire bar into just a pile of shavings, but most of the time they come up with very unique and interesting shapes. 


I received a sample bar from Influenster and Ivory in a recent MomVox Box campaign, but you can get Ivory at a great price at your local store.   

No comments:

Post a Comment